Double victory for Kudus

Kudus Rugby Club have reason to celebrate after the coastal side won its games in the Reserve and Premier league.
Leandrea Louw
Kudus Rugby Club managed to clinch a double victory in both their Reserve and Premier league fixtures against a visiting Grootfontein at Jan Wilken Stadium in Walvis Bay on Saturday.

Kudus II kicked off the action for the day and claimed a massive 43-0 victory against Grootfontein II. The home team kept the visitors at bay while scoring five tries, three conversions and four penalties. Try scorers for the day were Darren Beukes, Fernando Wohler, Henning Joubert, Immanuel Samuel and Giovanni Izaaks. Ulriato Lawrence managed to convert three of the five tries and scored four penalty goals.

Team captain Henning Joubert said that that it was a great and clean match. "I take my hat off for the Grootfontein guys. They had to travel far and did well on the field. I am extremely grateful for my team mates and coaches for such a successful game.”

Joubert stated that last weekend’s loss against FNB Wanderers II send them back to the drawing board and this time they managed to get the basics right. "Next weekend we are travelling to Windhoek to play against Western Suburbs.”

Peet Harmse, Grootfontein captain said that the game was a tough one. “You cannot have a game if you cannot defend, well done to Kudus. Next weekend we will come back stronger. Our next game is against Unam in Grootfontein and we are working towards a better outcome.”

Kudus I managed to clinch their Premier League game with 24 – 13.

Kudus opened the scoreboard with a try by Tersius Arangies (second row) within the first five minutes of the game. Fly-half Aurelio Plato successfully converted the try. Grootfontein hit back with a try by flanker Hendrik van Zyl. Inside centre Dehan Reynders missed the conversion.

Plato added a penalty, and made the score 10-5 at halftime in favour of the hosts.

In the second half, hooker Jarren Koning scored a try which Plato converted.

Grootfontein added points to their score through a penalty by outside centre Louis Johannes Grobbelaar. During the final quarter of the game, Grootfontein’s inside centre Dehan Reynders crashed over for a try. He did not succeed in converting the try.

Right wing Aston Mukwilingo scored the final try for Kudus, which was successfully converted by Plato.

Shaun White, Kudus I captain said that it was a tough game. “I feel we lost a lot of chances and did not make good use of the ones that came our way. We didn’t stick to structure, making things difficult for us, but we pocketed a win, so I am happy for that.”

Kudus has won every single rugby match they’ve played thus far. “We play for each other, we believe in each other. We are missing a few players, but the guys part of the team now have really stepped up. Next up we will be playing against Western Suburbs. With this match we will conclude the first round. We hoping for another win, then it is seven out of seven.”