Namibia in full lockdown

Measures intensified

14 April 2020 | Government

Hage Geingob; President; “During this period, movement within the whole country will be restricted.

Cabinet met and reviewed progress on the extraordinary measures that have been adopted with the dual purpose of protecting the health, security and safety of Namibians and the economy in light of the Covid-19 pandemic today.

The current lockdown for the Erongo and Khomas region, including the local authorities of Windhoek and Rehoboth was to lapse on Friday, 17 April 2020 at midnight. The president announced the extension of the existing lockdown period from midnight on Friday 17 April 2020 to midnight on 4 May 2020, saying it is a necessary measure.

“During this period, movement within the whole country will be restricted. The regions will be grouped into zones with the exact modalities to be worked out by law enforcement agencies.”

Should things go accordingly, the country will reopen on 5th May 2020.

The current prohibition relating to certain operations and closure of certain business activities have been revisited to allow for the opening of informal trading and open markets, subject to strict hygiene, social distancing and limiting of patrons.

The ministry of urban and rural development have been tasked to implement the modalities and enforce full compliance.

The fishing industry will also be allowed to continue operating. “The sector operates in the food supply chain and is considered to render essential services subject to the health standards agreed,” the president explained.

Geingob said that with regards to the reopening of schools that teachers and lecturers will operate from home from 20 April 2020, and will officially return to places of work on Wednesday, 6 May 2020.

“Learners and students will not return to school until further notice.”

The work from home for government and private sector employees which was in place for 14 days ending 17 April 2020, has also been extended to Tuesday, 5 May 2020.

The president called on all Namibians to remain calm and to cooperate with the authorities in order to ensure that public order is not compromised.

“Allow the authorities to work unhindered and do not provoke them unduly. I also urge law enforcement to demonstrate professionalism by operating within the law.”

The president said he was generally encouraged by what he had observed so far.

He once again appealed to all Namibians to respect the regulations and measures in place to curb the spread of the virus.

“The pandemic we face today is unprecedented. I am confident that by working collaboratively, we will respond effectively to minimize the spread of the virus and restore the health of those affected and restart our economic activities.”

Geingob emphasised that Covid-19 remains a serious global health pandemic and said the health of Namibians remains the first priority.

“Covid-19 is not only a threat to the lives of the Namibian people and the public health system, but it also bears secondary negative economic impacts on businesses, including jobs and livelihoods. We responded with urgent and aggressive measures to contain the spread of the novel Corona Virus into our communities.”

According to the president the measures that have been put in place are starting to bear fruits.

“Our priority has been and shall remain curbing the spread of the disease. The second priority is to minimize impacts of Covid-19 on the economy. To this end government rolled out the economic stimulus to the tune of N$8.1 billion on 7 April 2020. Payment to qualifying beneficiaries has started to be effected today and so far over 350 000 applications have been received.”

To date, the number of confirmed Covid-19 cases stands at sixteen. Of these, three people have made full recovery and there has been no report of new infections for over a week.

Similar News

 

Covid-19 restrictions remain as is

6 days ago - 31 July 2020 | Government

President Geingob announced that the current Covid-19 stage 3 level of restriction applicable to the Erongo region and the special dispensation for the local authority...

Cabinet directs ministries to help in Covid-19 fight

1 week ago - 28 July 2020 | Government

Walvis Bay • [email protected] The minister of information, communication and technology (MICT) Peya Mushelenga announced a number of cabinet decisions pertaining to the...

Lockdown measures remain as is

1 month - 06 July 2020 | Government

President Geingob announced that the current applicable Stage 4 Covid-19 lockdown measures will be maintained for all 13 regions with the exception of the...

Erongo moves to Stage 3

1 month - 22 June 2020 | Government

The Stage 1 lockdown of the Erongo region lapses at midnight tonight, while the other 13 regions are due to migrate from Stage 3 to...

No increase on water and related services

1 month - 21 June 2020 | Government

Walvis Bay •[email protected] The Walvis Bay municipality announced average tariff adjustments at an extra-ordinary council meeting. Councillor Lilo Niilenge, the chairperson of the management committee,...

GUIDELINES FOR 14-DAY LOCKDOWN OF ERONGO REGION

1 month - 08 June 2020 | Government

1. When will the lockdown come into force? 1.1 The lockdown will begin at 23:59 on Monday 8 June 2020 until 23:59 on...

Erongo remains in Stage 1 lockdown

1 month - 08 June 2020 | Government

Government is working hard to avoid imposing national lockdowns by effecting prompt and targeted localized interventions. According to President Hage Geingob, Namibia has not defeated...

Eventful tenure

2 months ago - 17 May 2020 | Government

Swakopmund Former Erongo governor Cleophas Mutjavikua bid farewell to his office after almost a decade in the hot seat.Mutjavikua, who officially handed...

Traditional authorities doing their bit

3 months ago - 28 April 2020 | Government

Swakopmund • [email protected] The governor of the Erongo region, Neville Andre, is pleased with the response and efforts of traditional authorities to curb the...

Travel restrictions eased for councillors

3 months ago - 28 April 2020 | Government

Okombahe • Adolf Kaure The Secretary of Cabinet and chairperson of the National Disaster Risk Management Committee, George Simataa, amended State of Emergency Covid-19...

Latest News

Dubz thrilled about SYMLAFA nod

4 hours ago | Art and Entertainment

Swakopmund • [email protected] Well-known radio presenter Wilzahn Gelderbloem (26) also known as “Dubz”, was nominated for the 2020 Simply You Magazine Lifestyle and...

Celebrating 250 years of Beethoven...

4 hours ago | Art and Entertainment

The German Embassy in Windhoek will present a classical concert by Namibian musicians Galilei Njembo (tenor/baritone), Trudy Gertze (soprano) and Ruzanna Mnatsakanyan (piano)...

Coastal residents demand an end...

4 hours ago | Local News

Walvis Bay • [email protected] Coastal residents once again took their plight to the streets.Residents from Walvis Bay staged a protest against the ongoing lockdown and...

NAMAs go online

1 day - 05 August 2020 | Art and Entertainment

The 10th Namibian Annual Music Awards will kick off soon, but this time live and online!Up for grabs is a total of N$1.2 million that...

Applications now open for grade...

1 day - 05 August 2020 | Education

Walvis Bay The regional directorate of education announced that application forms for pre-primary, grade 1 and grade 8 learners for 2021 will become available...

Police bust cannabis cultivators

1 day - 05 August 2020 | Crime

Walvis Bay Three young men were arrested in Walvis Bay during two separate drug busts for cultivating, harvesting and being in possession of cannabis.A...

Couple nabbed for fraud, money...

1 day - 04 August 2020 | Crime

Walvis Bay •[email protected] A couple from Walvis Bay who allegedly defrauded a Swiss man of more than N$1.1 million made their first...

Mother sacrifices her life in...

1 day - 04 August 2020 | Disasters

Swakopmund Three people lost their lives in a shack fire that broke out in Swakopmund’s DRC informal settlement on Sunday.The regional crime investigations...

Ministry of defence rubbishes bogus...

1 day - 04 August 2020 | Ministries

Audio and video footage that has been circulating on social media claiming that Chinese soldiers have entered into Namibia, are untrue.“There is no iota of...

Load More