Grant still unreachable for many

Residents desperate

26 April 2020 | Government

Naftali Naunde; Resident; “We just want something to eat ”

Walvis Bay •[email protected]



Hundreds of people were told to go home on Friday after queuing at the Kuisebmond stadium.

A large crowd gathered to verify their information for the Emergency Income Grant (EIG) of N$750.

The Erongo Regional Council said via a notice that the verification process was for people who applied with more than one cellphone number, and those whose applications have been put on hold.

The notice also stated that those whose applications were rejected on the basis of being in the tax registry, will be notified by the ministry of finance on the way forward.

Hundreds of people flocked to the Kuisebmond stadium when the verification process started at 12:00 on Thursday.

The armed forces had to intervene to ensure that everyone practices social distancing.

The process continued orderly on Friday morning.

At 10:05 people were told to go home, after verification officials received a message stating that another way will be devised to assist applicants.

Earlier this week, urban constituency councillor Knowledge Iipinge called for the use of technology-based systems to assist people who were rejected from receiving the N$750 grant.

Naftali Naunde, who was in the queue to verify his information, expressed his dissatisfaction with the process. “I was rejected on the basis that I entered my ID number or name wrong, but how? I went according to what my ID says and I even know my ID number by heart,” he siad.

Naunde is a carpenter by profession.

“Since lockdown I have been unable to work. I get paid when I fix a door or a window, but now I get nothing. I have a wife and children to feed at home. Instead of this process, they can simply distribute food for that value. We just want something to eat. How should I provide for my family when our government is hell-bent on killing us with lengthy processes?”

Albert Antonsius, a contract worker, asked for government to consider opening the building and construction industry.

“Before lockdown my boss told us that we will be called when there is a job to be done. Up until now nothing has happened. We will just die of hunger in this country. The government can just give us food, instead of money, because all we need is food.”

In a media statement issued by the ministry of finance on Thursday, it was stated that rejected EIG applicants are to remain at home while the data reconciliation process is carried out.

According to the ministry, the rejected applications are that of unemployed applicants who were rejected on the basis of appearing on the tax register or applicants who used incorrect details.

The ministry also urged applicants whose details were used in fraudulent applications to remain at home for now.

EIG applicants who did not receive any response despite having filed their applications more than 72 hours ago, are encouraged to reapply using the same details.

Similar News

 

Covid-19 restrictions remain as is

5 days ago - 31 July 2020 | Government

President Geingob announced that the current Covid-19 stage 3 level of restriction applicable to the Erongo region and the special dispensation for the local authority...

Cabinet directs ministries to help in Covid-19 fight

1 week ago - 28 July 2020 | Government

Walvis Bay • [email protected] The minister of information, communication and technology (MICT) Peya Mushelenga announced a number of cabinet decisions pertaining to the...

Lockdown measures remain as is

1 month - 06 July 2020 | Government

President Geingob announced that the current applicable Stage 4 Covid-19 lockdown measures will be maintained for all 13 regions with the exception of the...

Erongo moves to Stage 3

1 month - 22 June 2020 | Government

The Stage 1 lockdown of the Erongo region lapses at midnight tonight, while the other 13 regions are due to migrate from Stage 3 to...

No increase on water and related services

1 month - 21 June 2020 | Government

Walvis Bay •[email protected] The Walvis Bay municipality announced average tariff adjustments at an extra-ordinary council meeting. Councillor Lilo Niilenge, the chairperson of the management committee,...

GUIDELINES FOR 14-DAY LOCKDOWN OF ERONGO REGION

1 month - 08 June 2020 | Government

1. When will the lockdown come into force? 1.1 The lockdown will begin at 23:59 on Monday 8 June 2020 until 23:59 on...

Erongo remains in Stage 1 lockdown

1 month - 08 June 2020 | Government

Government is working hard to avoid imposing national lockdowns by effecting prompt and targeted localized interventions. According to President Hage Geingob, Namibia has not defeated...

Eventful tenure

2 months ago - 17 May 2020 | Government

Swakopmund Former Erongo governor Cleophas Mutjavikua bid farewell to his office after almost a decade in the hot seat.Mutjavikua, who officially handed...

Traditional authorities doing their bit

3 months ago - 28 April 2020 | Government

Swakopmund • [email protected] The governor of the Erongo region, Neville Andre, is pleased with the response and efforts of traditional authorities to curb the...

Travel restrictions eased for councillors

3 months ago - 28 April 2020 | Government

Okombahe • Adolf Kaure The Secretary of Cabinet and chairperson of the National Disaster Risk Management Committee, George Simataa, amended State of Emergency Covid-19...

Latest News

Applications now open for grade...

13 hours ago | Education

Walvis Bay The regional directorate of education announced that application forms for pre-primary, grade 1 and grade 8 learners for 2021 will become available...

Police bust cannabis cultivators

13 hours ago | Crime

Walvis Bay Three young men were arrested in Walvis Bay during two separate drug busts for cultivating, harvesting and being in possession of cannabis.A...

Couple nabbed for fraud, money...

1 day - 04 August 2020 | Crime

Walvis Bay •[email protected] A couple from Walvis Bay who allegedly defrauded a Swiss man of more than N$1.1 million made their first...

Mother sacrifices her life in...

1 day - 04 August 2020 | Disasters

Swakopmund Three people lost their lives in a shack fire that broke out in Swakopmund’s DRC informal settlement on Sunday.The regional crime investigations...

Ministry of defence rubbishes bogus...

1 day - 04 August 2020 | Ministries

Audio and video footage that has been circulating on social media claiming that Chinese soldiers have entered into Namibia, are untrue.“There is no iota of...

Sixty-four new cases

1 day - 04 August 2020 | Health

Namibia recorded 64 new Covid-19 cases today. The minister of health and social services Dr Kalumbi Shangula also announced 24 new recoveries. This number also...

Majority of police station attackers...

1 day - 04 August 2020 | Crime

Swakopmund Eighteen of the 20 people accused of damaging and destroying public property at the Mondesa police station were denied bail during their first appearance...

Maskers vir bewaring

2 days ago - 04 August 2020 | Local News

Swakopmund • [email protected] Met die Covid-19-pandemie op hande het die gesigmasker’n deel van die ‘voel-voel aan jou sakke of alles daar is’-roetine geword....

Toerisme bedryf se kommer aangespreek...

2 days ago - 04 August 2020 | Tourism

Swakopmund • [email protected] Besighede in die toerisme bedryf bevind hulself in ’n penarie sedert die sluiting van die land se grense vir toeriste...

Load More