Erongo Red closes shop temporarily
Self quarantine measures imposed
28 May 2020 | Business
Neville Andre; Erongo governor; “The construction of the facility involves two phases.”
Erongo RED ordered employees working at their head office (excluding pay points) to vacate the building until Friday.
This follows after two Erongo RED employees reported that they had been in contact with someone who had contact with the truck driver suspected to have been exposed to Covid-19.
The regional electricity distributor said that the two employees and all those who were in contact with them were identified and sent home to self-isolate.
They will only be tested after 12 days of quarantine as per ministry of health regulations.
In the meantime the offices will be fully sanitized to minimize the risk of exposure to Covid-19.
During his weekly Covid-19 update, Erongo governor Neville Andre assured residents that there is sufficient space available to quarantine and isolate Covid-19 patients.
“We also took a decision at our regional disaster risk management meeting on Tuesday, to look at additional places that can serve as quarantine and isolation facilities.”
The governor said that the isolation facility located behind the Walvis Bay Hospital was still in its first phase of construction.
“The construction of the facility involves two phases. The first phase involves the revamping the old TB ward at the hospital as an isolation facility. The second phase will be the setting up of a containerised field medical facility which will provide an estimated 80 beds.”
There are currently 21 people in isolation in the Erongo region.
FP du Toit reacts
In other Covid-19 related news, Stephan Terblanche, CEO of FP du Toit Transport, condemned rumours that all their truck drivers as well as WesBank Transport drivers tested positive for Covid-19.
This follows after a voice note began circulating on WhatsApp of a man alleging that all the drivers of the two transport companies tested positive.
“This is not true. The only driver who tested positive was the driver previously employed by FP du Toit Transport. He is now case number 21. We are definitely going to trace the origin of the audio and make sure the culprit faces the full wrath of the law,” Terblanche said.