Confusing noticed removed
02 August 2020 | Local News
An announcement informing the public that no travel permits will be issued until further notice displayed on the window of a police station in Swakopmund, was hastily removed on Saturday.
The notice was allegedly posted on Saturday, 1 August at 09:50. It reads: “No permits will be issued until further notice. The public is encouraged to stay home and stay safe. Thank you”.
This created confusion among residents who wanted to apply for travel permits.
One frustrated resident, Hannelie Horn-Turner, expressed her disapproval of the notice and posted her disdain on the “Namibians United against Lockdown” social media group.
“This notice was displayed in the police station window in Swakopmund this morning, 1 August. I suppose this means (that) we are now officially prisoners,” she said.
The notice was removed by a police officer who was on duty. The officer said that it was an obsolete notice and that residents are allowed to apply for travel permits.
“The notice was put on the window earlier in the year and it is old. It is not supposed to be on the wall. People have been queuing for permits, even on Friday and they are allowed to apply for travel permits,” said the officer.
The commander for community affairs in the Erongo region, Inspector Ileni Shapumba, also confirmed that residents can apply for permits to travel out of Swakopmund.
“There is no such thing. We are issuing travel permits strictly in line with the law,” Shapumba said after he had consulted with the station commander of Swakopmund police station.
President Hage Geingob urged Namibians to avoid unnecessary travel to and from different parts of country to curb the spread of Covid-19. He made these remarks during a statement as he addressed the nation on the Covid-19 national response on Friday.