Cellphone crook remains put

Bail opposed

19 January 2020 | Accidents

Ileni Shapumba;Community affairs commander; “It is alleged that a suspect used an unknown object to break the back door of the flat and gained entry.”

Walvis Bay • [email protected]

Petrus December Nuyoma made his first appearance at the Walvis Bay Magistrate’s Court on Thursday for suspected housebreaking and theft.

Nuyoma allegedly stole cellphones to the value of N$7 000 during a house breaking at Pere Pales situated in Kalahari Street in Narraville last week.

According to the community affairs commander of the Namibian Police Force (NamPol) in the Erongo Region, Warrant Officer Ileni Shapumba, the suspect allegedly used an unknown object to break open the back door of the flat and gained entry.

“He stole three cellphones which included a Samsung smartphone, Mobicell and Galactic tablet,” Shapumba said.

The suspect was arrested during police operations that took place on Monday evening and all the items were recovered.

At the hearing, prosecutor Tuhaleni Hilikuete opposed bail for the suspect. Her request was granted by magistrate John Sindano. Nuyoma will remain in custody at the Walvis Bay police holding cells.

The case has been postponed to 21 January for plea and trial.

Suicide

Also in Walvis Bay, a 30-year old man committed suicide last week when he allegedly hanged himself in his ghetto with a rope in Walvis Bay.

According to the Erongo police crime investigations coordinator Erastus Iikuyu, the incident took place between Monday and Tuesday.

“The deceased, identified as Benjamin Itana, was renting a house in Tormalyn Cresent, Tutaleni, Kuisebmond. He was employed as a waiter at a business in Walvis Bay,” Iikuyu said.

The late Itana left a suicide note and no foul play is suspected. His next of kin were informed and the body was taken to Walvis Bay Police mortuary for a post-mortem to determine the cause of death.

Similar News

 

Body of young man wash up on Swakopmund beach...

3 weeks ago - 29 August 2020 | Accidents

SwakopmundThe body of an unidentified black male person aged between 20 - 25 years with earrings on both ears and without clothes was discovered by...

Notorious B2 claims another life

3 weeks ago - 27 August 2020 | Accidents

Walvis Bay • [email protected] The coastal community was left reeling after a well-known businessman lost his life in a motor vehicle accident. Pieter...

Road crashes decline dramatically

4 weeks ago - 21 August 2020 | Accidents

Windhoek • [email protected] Amid the Covid-19 pandemic, Namibia’s road crashes, injuries and deaths have experienced a dramatic decline compared to the same period over...

Fatal collision on B2

1 month - 18 August 2020 | Accidents

The police are investigating a case of culpable homicide, and reckless and negligent driving following a collision that involved the courtesy vehicle of the governor...

Accident claims youngster’s life

3 months ago - 16 June 2020 | Accidents

Swakopmund Laurens Alberts Bester (15) succumbed to injuries he sustained after he was allegedly bumped by a tow-in vehicle in Swakopmund on Sunday. NamPol’s...

Shack fire victims assisted

6 months ago - 09 March 2020 | Accidents

Swakopmund • [email protected] The Swakopmund Community Engagement Group (S.C.E.G.) recently donated items valued at around N$1 000 to persons affected by shack fires. The...

‘Retrieval impossible’

6 months ago - 04 March 2020 | Accidents

Walvis Bay Hangana Seafood said that based on the opinions of various experts, it had concluded that there is no reasonable prospect of finding...

Gordon family still hoping

6 months ago - 01 March 2020 | Accidents

Walvis Bay • [email protected] The parents and siblings of Carlo Gordon, the missing captain of the Resplendent that sank more than a week...

Vermiste skipper dapper tot die laaste

6 months ago - 25 February 2020 | Accidents

Hy was nie net ’n kaptein vir sy bemanning nie, maar ook ’n gesinsman en vriend vir baie. Die sagte, maar ferm Carlo Gordon (48)...

BREAKING NEWS

7 months ago - 18 February 2020 | Accidents

A fishing vessel belonging to Hangana Seafood sunk in the deep sea, according to reports just received.A source confirmed that the hake trawler Resplendent experienced...

Latest News

Kauhaie wins the crown

20th of September 17:36 | Art and Entertainment

Swakopmund • [email protected] Kauhaie was crowned Miss Teen Swakopmund 2020 during the final hosted at The Loft on Saturday evening.She said that she was overjoyed...

Weekend marred by rape and...

20th of September 17:27 | Crime

Walvis Bay • [email protected] It was a bloody weekend for the Erongo region, with an alleged gang rape and a murder reported in the first...

Mine employee collapses, dies

20th of September 17:19 | Local News

An employee of the CGN Swakop Uranium mine passed away after he collapsed while working at the mine on Saturday, chief executive Cai Yusheng confirmed....

Lower grades back to school...

22 hours ago | Education

Walvis Bay • [email protected] Grade four, five and six learners were welcomed back at school on Monday. Government schools have opted to divide...

Learn to mask it!

1 day - 19 September 2020 | Events

Swakopmund • [email protected] Swakopmund Scientific Society (SSS) announced that it will host a mask-making workshop.According to the SSS’s public relations officer (PRO) Irina Ivanova, both...

More recoveries, three Covid-19 deaths

1 day - 19 September 2020 | Health

The deputy minister of health and social services Dr Eshter Muinjangue announced 85 new Covid-19 cases, 109 recoveries and three deaths. Muinjangue said that 1...

More Covid-19 recoveries recorded

2 days ago - 18 September 2020 | Health

The deputy minister of health and social services Dr Esther Muinjangue announced 114 new Covid-19 cases as well as 183 recoveries on Thursday. Muinjangue said...

Some restrictions to remain in...

2 days ago - 18 September 2020 | Health

Walvis Bay •[email protected] With the State of Emergency regulations coming to an end, a number of regulations will either remain in force or be discontinued....

State of emergency ends

2 days ago - 17 September 2020 | Government

President Hage Geingob announced that the State of Emergency will not be extended upon expiration at midnight on Thursday. The State of Emergency was declared...

Load More