Another shack fire in Kuisebmond
Two shacks and a garage were destroyed by a fire in Kuisebmond (Menesia Kamatoto Street), Walvis Bay Monday evening.
Fortunately, no injuries were reported but the shacks and the contents of the garage were completely destroyed. A crowd once again formed at the scene while the Walvis Bay Fire Brigade battled to extinguish the fire. The fire fighters managed to stop the fire from spreading to an adjacent third shack.
Godhart Awaiseb (65) an owner of one of the destroyed shacks, suspects that the cause of the fire was due to an electrical short circuit in the garage which is located next to his shack. “I came home from work, and wanted to start cooking. I realised that the electricity was out. I asked my neighbour if he had access to electricity and he stated yes. My electricity supply is connected from the main house, via the garage.”
Awaiseb who lives alone, said upon inspection in the garage he saw smoke. “I immediately told one of my neighbours to get the car out, and the smoke grew bigger. Soon it spread to my house and the shack at the back of the garage. I lost everything – all I have left is my wallet and the clothes I am wearing. Some of the money I was saving is also gone in the fire. My ID, temporary license – everything is gone.”
Awaiseb is a jack-of-all-trades at a local construction company. “I was supposed to retire in April this year, but the company asked that I stay longer. I am originally from Windhoek, and have been staying in Walvis Bay for the past 10 years.”
One of the firefighters on the scene stated that the call that came through for assistance arrived at the right time. “We managed to extinguish the fire before it spread to a third ghetto.”
Before the arrival of the fire brigade, the neighbours had started trying to extinguish the fire. The occupants of the third shack managed to carry out all their belongings. The intense heat also cracked a window of the main house on the property.
The police have yet to provide an official incident report.