Flames destroy wholesaler

06 April 2018 | Disasters

A fire decimated Swakopmund's Metro Cash & Carry as well as the Metro Liquor branch early on Monday morning, causing millions of dollars' worth of damage. Significant damage was also reported at Klimas Glass located next door.

No injuries were reported.

“It was a massive fire,” said Swakopmund Fire Chief Adri Goosen.

According to Goosen, he received the initial call about the blaze at 04:01 on Easter Monday. “The fire brigade rushed to the scene and found that the fire was already raging out of control. The entire shop was engulfed in flames, which leaped up to 20 meters into the sky.”

Fire fighters finally managed to subdue the flames by 08:00 and used at least 20 000 litres of water to extinguish the blaze.

Swakopmund residents witnessed the illuminated sky above the burning wholesale from various parts in town, and by sunrise a thick cloud of smoke was still clearly visible.

“We had just bought a lot of stock for the Easter weekend. Nothing could be saved,” said Metro branch manager Gieljam Visser. He was not able to say what the exact value of the inventory was, but estimates that the stock might be worth more than N$10 million.

Visser commended the fire brigade for doing a good job and preventing the fire from spreading any further.

Neighbouring Klimas Glass sustained significant water and smoke damage.

A bakkie parked inside a garage bordering Metro and Klimas Glass, also burned out completely.

Initial reports indicate that the fire might have started due to an electrical fault.