Candle claims life

25 June 2020 | Disasters

Walvis Bay •[email protected]


A woman (28) died in a fire that destroyed the shack she was living in, in Kuisebmond.

“The deceased was identified as Christine Langani. Her next of kin have been informed and no foul play is suspected,” said regional crime coordinator deputy commissioner Erastus Iikuyu.

He said that the fire occurred at around 05:00 on Thursday adding that a candle could have caused the blaze. “The deceased who lived in a shack behind her family home, allegedly went to put her cellphone on charge in the main house at around 21:00. Her mother returned the phone at 01:30 and told her to put the candle out before she goes to sleep. At around 05:00, one of the neighbours discovered the fire and started putting the flames out. The fire brigade eventually arrived. However, the shack was destroyed by the fire and the deceased’s body was discovered in the rubble later on.”

Inspector Ileni Shapumba, the police’s head of community affairs in the region, said that community members and neighbours in particular should always look out for each other.

“We should check up on each other. Remember to always switch off your appliances such as a heater and hot plates and douse candles. If you go to work and you are not sure if you switched off your iron or stove, rather go back and check! A number of shack fires that occurred in the past weeks have claimed properties and now a life. Let us look after each other and be cautious at all times.”