Mother and child die in shack fire
Inspector Ileni Shapumba, the unit commander for community affairs said that the fire erupted around 23:30 on Friday night in Kilimanjaro Street in Tutaleni. “It's alleged that the fire started at one of the ghettos where the deceased were accommodated at a house (Erf 6669) where about 10 ghettos burned down. The fire further spread to the neighbouring houses (Erf 6668 amd 6670) and also caused damage to the houses and destroyed another ten ghettos.”
According to Shapumba, the two deceased persons were burned to death. "The deceased was identified as Ermerlinda Dausas (38) and her son Cristian Dausab (2). The next of kin of the deceased persons were informed. Dausas and her son who is from Swakopmund were visiting family in Walvis Bay for the weekend when the unfortunate incident took place. The cause of the fire is suspected to be a burning candle."
Ephraim Kathindi, the acting fire brigade chief said that the affected households will be accommodated in tents. “We managed to extinguish the fire successfully. It is quite a congested area. A total of 20 shacks burnt down. The office of the mayor will provide support to the victims such as blankets and food.”