Towards a cleaner Namibia
Towns are gearing up for another exciting edition of the Town of the Year competition.
01 February 2019 | Events
Arrie Hougaard; NMH General Manager; “Initiatives taken by town councils will count for 70% of the overall competition score.”
A total of 21 towns have been selected as participants for the competition. Seven of these towns (Walvis Bay, Swakopmund, Usakos, Karibib, Arandis, Omaruru and Henties Bay) are located in the Erongo region.
Arrie Hougaard NMH general manager for publications who heads the Town of the Year team and initiative is visiting various towns to conduct interviews with municipal officials responsible for maintaining clean and healthy environments.
Hougaard recently visited Omaruru, Usakos, Arandis, Hentiesbaai, Walvisbaai and Swakopmund. He will be in Karibib tomorrow (Monday).
During visits he interviewed council officials who had to share information on the various initiatives being undertaken by the respective town councils to keep towns clean as well as the basic waste management systems in place.
Questions posed revolved on how the town maintain and ensures the community and tourists can enjoy a clean and healthy environment, whether the town have a dumping site or a landfill.
Hougaard also enquired about the availability of recycling programs or any cleaning campaigns happening and how towns involve schools, businesses, open markets and shopping malls in such cleaning campaigns.
He explained that initiatives taken by town councils will count for 70% of the overall competition score. The remaining 30% will be determined by the public which will have to vote for their favourite town as part of the competition from 27 May to 7 June. Councils are free to mobilise support during this period.
Four finalists will be selected from the 21 towns and announced on 21 March. They will receive exhibition space at the Namibia Tourism Expo organised by NMH with the sole purpose of promoting Namibian towns due to tourism being a strong component of the economy. The event is taking place from 5 to 8 June at the Windhoek Showgrounds.
The expo, which is turning 21 years this year, will also be celebrating its last sub-theme “Recycling Think Sustainably”. For the past five years the main theme is Ecotourism.